Sunday, August 11, 2013

Painting Buddha - Season 1.1:Target Identified | The Miniatures

Metal box containing the Miniatures The Painting Buddha seal
After unboxing the Season 1.1:Target Identified set and having all the stuff lying around I decided to split my review into different parts because it really would be too much text for only one post. Additionally the box contains of 6 DVDs with two different approaches to painting the miniatures (and the base) so I will cover them later after I watched them completely and have a better and more general opinion of all the stuff (my first impression is a very good one). The miniatures are delivered in a small metal box with the Painting Buddha logo which is sealed with a sweet, little sticker. As already said, these small details give me the feeling that there are people at work who love(d) what they are doing. At this point of writing I notice that I completely forgot to take a picture of the miniatures inside the opened box, but you can see it on the overview picture in my first glance post if you want.

Brad and Yannet

The Miniatures - Brad The Miniatures - Yannet
At first I want to start with the miniatures which are delivered with the set, namely Brad and Yannet. They both are 54mm, my first adventure into this scale. They are nicely modelled and have some really nice details on them. The cast is really good, I found no bubbles and only tiny molding lines on the model. Some small resin leftovers from the mould is visible but that could be easily removed. The only thing I had is that Yannet has a flaw on her head which (I think) comes from the casting frame where she was cut off. But this should be no problem, I think you can easily sand it down (its no whole in the miniature but some excess resin.

The Miniatures - Tools
The weapons/tools of are delivered in additional sprues. The main weapons where already broken of but there was no harm done to them. Like on the miniatures there is only the slightest hint of molding lines and they also seem nicely cast. The sprue of Yannet seems to be of a different kind of resin which is somewhat softer than the rest of the castings. This makes here weapon a bit "whobbly" and I think is the reason for it to be a bit warped. On the reference pictures in the shop the weapon looks completely straight mine is a bit bended. But also nothing you can't fix I think. I will check if it could be brought back into shape with warm water or a blow dryer.

Display Base

Display Base - Overview
I opted not only for the "budget" box but also ordered the display base for Brad and Yannet which is normally not included in the box. Nonetheless I will include it here because that's what I got from Painting Buddha :) The display base contains of a base, a piece of wall/column and a flag/banner which you can attach to it.
This is also my first time for buying some kind of display base so I am pretty curious how this all will work out.

Display Base - Close up Display Base - Close up
As you can see in the pictures I think you'll have to invest some work into the base for an even finish. It has lots of details like a small drain and some masonry showing through. But it also has some molding lines and unclean edges/castings. In my opinion the casting isn't as good as that of the miniatures. I don't know if this was done with some different resin or so but it also feels much more rough and unrefined than that of the miniatures.
As said I am no expert in bigger resin blocks, perhaps this is the way they are, but for me this is something I didn't have before :) Is it worth the 14€? I really can't say because my lacking experience.

Conclusio

That is some pretty awesome stuff which is delivered with the painting set. There is nothing big to complain about. And you also get a small brochure which shows you how to prepare the miniatures included in the DVD set. Brad and Yannet are some really nice models and the display base completes the whole set. It even has an extra DVD in the set, so I would recommend to spend the extra 14€ for it despite my doubts mentioned earlier.
Hopefully I am brave enough to dive into some 54mm painting :)


So long,
Paradox0n

P.S.: Already watched the first 2 DVDs where Brad was painted. So I hope I can give an in-depth look into the DVDs soon.

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I have no clue what the figures are about, they have a very elongated look to me, but I'm used to squatter and more exaggerated 28mm and smaller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are also true scale. But yes they are really slim. Well trained assassins it seems :)

      Delete
  2. Dude.. am so glad that you picked this up. I spent the time before GD with Michael, Ben and Mati, the guys behind this project. I picked up the supporter box from them as well.

    I will be doing some reviews of it also and have some behind he closed doors photos of how he madness is over there these days with all the orders. Also the variant paint jobs that were done for this project. Hoping to watch the videos this weekend though! Keep an eye out for it!

    Looking forward to how you paint these up, and your review of the videos as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Video review is in work. Have looked all videos but this is so much stuff... I have to see how I will write it, because two painters with really different techniques paint the miniatures.

      Delete

If you liked this article, please leave a comment. If you even want to support this blog, deactive your adblocker and click on one of the banners. Everything will be refunded for new reviews or tutorials. Thanks!

Related Posts