Sunday, June 3, 2012

Blog Babble - Motivation?!

Its (blogging) weekend and I just started to write at my two new HowTo series when I realised that sometimes while writing I think: Why I am doing this sh**?! I'm running the blog now for about two months, wrote about twenty real articles and will try a short resume of the last weeks. If you now think: "Oh noes, no babble about personal stuff!" I'm completely fine with it, skip the post, but it's something I have to do :-)

At first the blog was just an experiment, as computer scientist I wanted to test out how the blogger software works and what you can achieve with it. I was really happy what you can do with blogger so I wrote the first HowTo articles about building a swamp and building terrain from sprues. At this stage I had my first three followers who I didn't know in person and my first comment on an article, jipieh! This was a real motivation boost and animated me to write some more stuff. Big thanks  to Mr. Lee and his Painting Emporium who started to comment on a somewhat regular base on my articles and even added me to his blogroll.

Then I realised that I need more followers and traffic on my blog. Just writing for my cats (and Mr. Lee) is not quite what I wanted to do when I was blogging. So I tried to promote it in the forum I post somewhat regular and looked out for other great blogs to follow and add to my blogroll. With nearly no effect.
Then I discovered that there are some blogging networks and that I should apply to them. Some are pretty easy going, just fill in a form and hope the best. With others it's a bit more complicated: The easiest are "write us a mail and we will add you" others have "fullfill some requirements and add our banner, then write us and we will check if you will be added". So I tried to do this stuff and waited.
House of Paincakes was the first network who added me, then Tales of a Tabletop Skirmisher. The last until today was Stahly's Tale of Painters. For some I didn't fulfill the requirement (but I'm sure I will try to get listed there later) and others didn't even react.
And hell yeah, you can feel a difference. My traffic is now about eight to ten times higher and I have the feeling that the articles I post at the moment are read even if from only some readers. And I gained two new followers, yipieh! Again a needed motivation boost.

For the future I hope I can produce content which attracts some more followers and comments. I think that the thing that really keeps me going is the feeling that my stuff is not unnoticed.
Maybe this is the engine that keeps us all going: Feedback from the community/our readers. So if you have some minutes to spare and read an article you like (regardless which blog you are reading) drop the author a line, I'm sure he will be happy to see that someone read and liked what he did.

Hope I didn't bore you to death :-)


So long,
Paradox0n

4 comments:

  1. Not bored to death, but thanks for the mention mate ;)

    Joining networks is definitely a thing to do, and to follow others. Posting on their blogs, and becoming regular there will make them want to come back to you also!

    Am in the same boat as you though. When I get a new follower or 2, it is very motivating. Just try to find that niche that you can fill easily enough, and hit it as hard as you can! Your HowTos and information on new hobby methods are great! It's what I keep coming back for ;)

    Cheers mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem at all. "One good turn deserves another".

      P.S.: If you missed it, the first part of the modular gaming table HowTo is online :)

      Delete
  2. Don't lose heart. A lot of people read blogs and never comment.

    What you are doing helps many people who never let you know about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to worry. As promised I have some articles in the queue which will slowly emerge on the blog. But nice comments like this one help to write them faster :-)

      Delete

If you liked this article, please leave a comment. If you even want to support this blog, deactive your adblocker and click on one of the banners. Everything will be refunded for new reviews or tutorials. Thanks!

Related Posts